New York Yankees ace Masahiro Tanaka is scheduled to throw 25 pitches Saturday in his first bullpen session since going on the disabled list with a partial tear in his right elbow.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi announced the session before Friday night’s game at Tampa Bay.
Tanaka is 12-4 with a 2.51 ERA in 18 starts. This is the Japanese right-hander’s first season in the major leagues.
The Yankees put Tanaka on the disabled list on July 9 and hope he can return next month. Tanaka says he has “no pain” in his comeback work and Girardi says “everything has been positive” so far.
- Mariners prospect hit by boat dies at age 20
- Costco will buy most farmed salmon from Norway, not Chile
- Low wages for aerospace workers despite tax breaks for employers
- Let's cut traffic by road rationing, Italian style
- A mom's tweet about Oreos in school stirs up culture wars
Most Read Stories
Tanaka threw on level ground for 12 minutes Friday. He also took grounders for four minutes and made pickoff throws to first base.
• The NL West-leading Dodgers placed pitcher Hyun-Jin Ryu on the 15-day disabled list with a right hip strain on Friday. The move is retroactive to Thursday. He will be replaced in the rotation by newly acquired right-hander Kevin Correia. Ryu had an MRI exam earlier in the day that showed strained muscles, which help stabilize the hip and leg during his throwing motion. The left-hander complained of right hip and buttock pain after leaving Wednesday’s 3-2 loss at Atlanta. He is 13-6 with a 3.28 ERA in 23 starts. Ryu became the sixth player to go on the DL this month, joining infielder Hanley Ramirez (oblique), pitcher Josh Beckett (hip), pitcher Paul Maholm (ACL tear), and pitcher Chris Perez (ankle), pitcher Paco Rodriguez (strain). The team recalled right-hander Pedro Baez from Class AAA Albuquerque.
• The Minnesota Twins activated Ricky Nolasco from the disabled list and put him right back into the rotation. Nolasco started Friday night against Kansas City, pitching six innings and allowing five runs and seven hits in a 6-5 loss to the Royals.