The New York Yankees’ injury-plagued rotation has taken another big hit.
Struggling left-hander CC Sabathia was placed on the 15-day disabled list before Sunday’s 6-5 loss to the Milwaukee Brewers with inflammation in his right knee. Manager Joe Girardi said he hoped Sabathia would just need two weeks.
Sabathia had right knee surgery at the end of the 2006 season while with the Cleveland Indians. This is the only time he has experienced inflammation since the operation, Sabathia said.
Both skipper and pitcher were relieved that the injury wasn’t more serious.
- Hawks didn't interview witnesses to ugly hotel incident involving draft pick
- Hawks didn't interview witnesses to ugly hotel incident involving draft pick Frank Clark
- Woman seeking man she kissed at marathon hears from his wife
- The remarkable redemption of M's prospect Jesus Montero continues in Tacoma
- One flight missed, whole trip gets canceled. And no refund
Most Read Stories
“See the doctor tomorrow and go from there,” Sabathia said after Sunday’s game. “There’s no tear so hopefully everything will be all right.”
The move came a day after Sabathia allowed three home runs in a no-decision against the Brewers. Milwaukee won 5-4.
• Yu Darvish will get extra rest before his next start after throwing 126 pitches in another near no-hitter.
The Texas Rangers announced Sunday that Darvish will not start as scheduled Wednesday at Houston. The right-hander from Japan will instead pitch the series opener at home Friday against Toronto in place of lefty Martin Perez, who reported discomfort in his left elbow after not making it out of the fourth inning Saturday night in his third consecutive bad start.
• Baltimore activated Chris Davis (strained left oblique) from the 15-day disabled list and put catcher Matt Wieters on the DL with a strained right elbow. Davis went 2 for 4 in his first game since April 25.
• Washington placed first baseman Adam LaRoche on the 15-day disabled list because of a strained right quad.
• Milwaukee third baseman Aramis Ramirez appears headed to the disabled list with a strained left hamstring after he was hurt fielding a bouncer Saturday.