WASHINGTON — The Washington Nationals postponed Monday night’s game against the Atlanta Braves after shootings at the nearby Navy Yard.
The game was rescheduled as part of a day-night doubleheader on Tuesday.
“It’s a very emotional day. An extremely horrific act happened very near to the ballpark,” Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said. “Our thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims over there and all the people affected by this. We felt it was inappropriate to play a major league baseball game with such tragedy right down the street.”
Located just blocks from the Navy Yard, one of the stadium’s parking lots was used for families of the Navy Yard employees to meet following the evacuation of the facility.
- Job cuts planned as Boeing hunkers down to compete with Airbus, consider new plane
- Female tiger killed by mating partner at Sacramento Zoo
- Amid Zika fears, local family shares the reality of microcephaly
- With Marshawn Lynch retired, what will Seahawks do with money they save?
- Police: Ohio newborn appears to have died from dog bite
Most Read Stories
• Jhonny Peralta is moving closer to rejoining the Detroit Tigers, though manager Jim Leyland isn’t making any public promises.
Leyland said Monday that Peralta will leave for the instructional league Wednesday. He is eligible to return Sept. 27 from his 50-game suspension that resulted from baseball’s investigation into Biogenesis of America, a Florida anti-aging clinic accused of distributing banned performance-enhancing drugs.
• Injured Mets ace Matt Harvey has been examined by Dr. James Andrews for a second opinion on his injured right elbow. The 24-year-old right-hander was diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament on Aug. 26. Harvey hopes to avoid reconstructive surgery, which would sideline him for 2014.
Also, Jerry Seinfeld will join the broadcast crew Tuesday for the Mets game. The comic is a longtime fan of the team. He will appear on the pregame show and then join Gary Cohen, Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling for the call of the game against San Francisco.