Vin Scully is staying in the booth for the Los Angeles Dodgers. The 86-year-old Hall of Fame announcer will return for his record 66th season with the team in 2015.
The announcement was made in Korean, Spanish and English by players on the Dodger Stadium video board in the second inning of Tuesday night’s game against Atlanta. The news was greeted with a prolonged standing ovation for Scully, who stood and waved to fans from his booth.
A decision about Scully’s future has become an annual rite of passage in recent years as he evaluates his health and his family’s wishes in considering whether he wants to continue.
Scully’s consecutive years of service make him the longest-tenured broadcaster with one team in sports history.
- Amazon rolls out free same-day delivery for Prime members
- They were millionaires for 3 months, but Seattle couple didn't know it
- Russell Wilson's agent says in 710 ESPN Seattle interview that contract talks are 'encouraging'
- Crash on I-5 at Boeing Access Road backs up traffic for miles
- Photo shows Chicago cops posing over black man with antlers
Most Read Stories
• Giants pitcher Matt Cain will see Dr. James Andrews, according to a team source. Cain has not pitched since July 9 because of inflammation related to bone chips floating in his right elbow. His condition has not improved in recent days, and the Giants were so concerned that they moved quickly to acquire right-hander Jake Peavy over the weekend and now have sent Cain for a second opinion.
• In one of their craziest scouting experiences, the Minnesota Twins have reached a deal with a 24-year-old pitching prospect who has thrown 100 mph fastballs but has never been drafted. Brandon Poulson was pitching earlier this month for the Healdsburg Prune Packers in the collegiate Sacramento Rural League. His manager was Joey Gomes, the brother of big leaguer Jonny Gomes. Now, the Twins are about to give him $250,000.
• A minor-league baseball player hit by former majo- leaguer Jose Offerman in a 2007 baseball bat attack won nearly $1 million in a lawsuit on Tuesday, an attorney said. A jury awarded $940,000 to former Bridgeport Bluefish catcher Johnathan Nathans. Nathans is still affected by a head injury.