All-Star shortstop Jose Reyes likely will be sidelined until the All-Star break because of a severely sprained left ankle. Ten games into his...
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — All-Star shortstop Jose Reyes likely will be sidelined until the All-Star break because of a severely sprained left ankle.
Ten games into his Toronto Blue Jays career, Reyes was injured during an awkward slide into second base during Friday night’s 8-4 win over the Kansas City Royals.
Reyes, a four-time All-Star, was carted off the field Friday and placed on the 15-day disabled list Saturday.
“A MRI came back, no fracture, but it’s a severe sprain,” Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said. “Right now, it looks like it will be three months, and that’s just getting to the point that he’s back in a big-league game. It could be six to eight weeks of rest and rehab.”
- Seattle company copes with backlash on $70,000 minimum wage
- Man shot dead in South Seattle while on phone with mom
- Seahawks sign four-year extension with linebacker Bobby Wagner worth a reported $43 million
- Impressions from Day 2 of Seahawks' training camp
- Higher wages a surprising success for Seattle restaurant Ivar's
Most Read Stories
• Oakland left fielder Yoenis Cespedes was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained muscle in his left hand after he landed awkwardly in a tumbling slide Friday night. Cespedes had an MRI on Saturday morning before the middle game of a weekend series against Detroit. It showed no structural damage, and manager Bob Melvin says no surgery will be needed. He hopes Cespedes will return after the minimum time on the DL.
• Miami said slugger Giancarlo Stanton hopes to avoid a trip to the DL. Stanton had an MRI, and it showed a bruised left shoulder.
• Pittsburgh left-hander Wandy Rodriguez said he will miss his scheduled start Sunday against the Reds because of a strained left hamstring.
• The Los Angeles Angels have placed right-handed reliever Kevin Jepsen (triceps) and shortstop Erick Aybar (bruised left heel) on the 15-day disabled list.
• Arizona placed outfielder Jason Kubel on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left quadriceps and activated outfielder Cody Ross.
• The Chicago Cubs have put closer Kyuji Fujikawa on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right forearm and called up reliever Rafael Dolis from Class AAA Iowa.