Manager Tony La Russa will miss the rest of the St. Louis Cardinals' road trip after being diagnosed with shingles.
ST. LOUIS — Manager Tony La Russa will miss the rest of the St. Louis Cardinals’ road trip after being diagnosed with shingles.
La Russa had tests Tuesday at the Mayo Clinic, whose physicians consulted with Cardinals doctors and decided it would be best for the manager to rest and allow his medication to take effect.
St. Louis started a series in Chicago Tuesday, with the trip wrapping up Sunday in Cincinnati.
Bench coach Joe Pettini will run the Cardinals while La Russa is away. The 66-year-old La Russa is in his 16th season as St. Louis manager.
- With Marshawn Lynch retired, what will Seahawks do with money they save?
- Police: Ohio newborn appears to have died from dog bite
- Panthers' Cam Newton and Seahawks' Russell Wilson handled Super Bowl losses very differently
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson writes a thank-you letter to Peyton Manning
- $3.7 million in 3 months: I-405 tolls rake in more than 3 times expected income
Most Read Stories
Pettini said La Russa’s condition reached a point where something had to be done.
“He gutted it out for the games,” Pettini said. “He’s been in agony.”
Grounds crew member trapped
DENVER — A member of the Coors Field grounds crew was briefly trapped under the tarp during a rain delay in the Mets-Rockies game.
The man tripped while helping to pull the tarp over the infield and was quickly smothered as the rest of the crew continued on.
The crowd cheered as the man crawled out from under the white tarp like a mouse sneaking out from under the bed sheets.
• Twins C Joe Mauer says he has regained 15 pounds and strength in his legs, but isn’t ready to set a date for his return from the disabled list. Mauer has missed 24 games with a condition the Twins have called bilateral leg weakness.
• Kansas City put LHP Bruce Chen (4-1) on the DL with a strained muscle in his left side.
• Marlins RHP Javier Vazquez was put on the bereavement list after the death of a relative in Puerto Rico.