CLEVELAND — Max Scherzer didn’t care that his record stayed spotless. All that mattered to him was that Detroit’s improved.
Scherzer remained unbeaten as the AL Central-leading Tigers beat Cleveland 4-2 Monday night on Victor Martinez’s two-run double in the 10th inning.
Scherzer, attempting to become the first pitcher since Roger Clemens in 1986 to open a season 14-0, left with a no-decision after working seven innings. He allowed two runs and seven hits.
The presumed AL starter in next week’s All-Star Game will take his unblemished mark into a start on Saturday against Texas.
- WWU cancels classes Tuesday after racial threats on social media
- Seahawks re-sign Bryce Brown in Marshawn Lynch’s absence
- Report: Seahawks’ Marshawn Lynch has surgery Wednesday, could be back by late December
- Like Marshawn Lynch, Seahawks’ Thomas Rawls craves contact
- Seahawks ramblings: What got Cary Williams benched?
Most Read Stories
“I don’t want to focus much on that (being 13-0),” he said. “This was our best win of the year, and I was proud to be a part of it. The Indians battled so hard tonight and brought their ‘A’ game, and we did, too.
“It was just a great team win, our best of the year.”
Cleveland had already beaten seven former Cy Young Award winners this season, including Detroit’s Justin Verlander. Scherzer is clearly the midseason favorite to win the AL honor in 2013.
• Five Miami relievers combined to retire 24 consecutive Atlanta batters. The Marlins still lost, 7-1 in 14 innings.
• Francisco Rodriguez got his 303rd career save in Milwaukee’s win over Cincinnati, tying Doug Jones for 22nd place.
• Phillies 1B Ryan Howard needs surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee and will miss at least six to eight weeks. The 2006 NL MVP is hitting .266 with 11 homers and 43 RBI.
• Milwaukee activated OF Ryan Braun from the disabled list and put 3B Aramis Ramirez on the DL with a knee injury.
• Yankees SS Derek Jeter went 0 for 2 with a walk in five innings for AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. It was the third game of his rehab assignment after an ankle injury.