The first-place Detroit Tigers have reinforced the back end of their shaky bullpen, acquiring closer Joakim Soria from the Texas Rangers for minor-league pitchers Jake Thompson and Corey Knebel.
The trade was completed Wednesday night during Texas’ rain-shortened loss to the New York Yankees. Soria says he was informed of the deal during the delay at Yankee Stadium.
Soria is 1-3 with a 2.70 ERA and 17 saves in 19 chances. Detroit has been looking to upgrade a relief corps that ranked 12th out of 15 American League teams with a 4.37 ERA.
Soria moves from the last-place Rangers to the AL Central-leading Tigers and gets reunited with the closer he replaced in Texas this season. Joe Nathan, a Rangers reliever from 2012-13, has a 5.89 ERA and 20 saves in 25 tries this year for Detroit.
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- Nurse dies from injuries in attack near CenturyLink Field
- As fast-moving wildfire hits Quincy, police say Wenatchee blaze man-made
- Seahawks mailbag: Bobby Wagner's contract, Brandon Mebane's future, and more
- How Evergreen State prof guided Supreme Court on gay marriage
Most Read Stories
The trade was first reported by Scout.com and FOXSports.com.
• The Washington Nationals have placed third baseman and outfielder Ryan Zimmerman on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right hamstring.
To take his place on the roster, the Nationals recalled infielder Zach Walters from Class AAA Syracuse. He was available for Wednesday’s game against the Colorado Rockies. The 29-year-old Zimmerman missed 44 games with a fractured right thumb earlier this season. The Nationals are 33-19 this year when Zimmerman is in the lineup. He’s hitting .282 with five homers and 36 RBI.
• San Diego Padres outfielder Cameron Maybin was suspended 25 games by Major League Baseball on Wednesday for testing positive for an amphetamine. Maybin said in a statement distributed through the Major League Baseball Players Association the failed test was the result of a change in the medication he was using to treat Attention Deficit Disorder.