KANSAS CITY, Mo. —This was not the kind of record-setting season Rangers manager Ron Washington envisioned.
When left-hander Derek Holland took the mound against the Kansas City Royals on Tuesday night, he became the 60th player that Texas has used this year, breaking a tie with three other teams for the most in a season in major-league history.
Relief pitcher Michael Kirkman extended that record in the eighth inning, becoming the 61st to play for the Rangers. Kirkman wound up allowing the go-ahead run in a 2-1 loss.
The Indians and Padres each used 59 players in 2002, as did the Padres in 2008.
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- Seattle man charged with vehicular homicide in cyclist’s death
- Nurse dies from injuries in attack near CenturyLink Field
- Seahawks mailbag: Bobby Wagner's contract, Brandon Mebane's future, and more
- As fast-moving wildfire hits Quincy, police say Wenatchee blaze man-made
Most Read Stories
• Chicago Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo could be done for the rest of the season because of a strained lower back.
An MRI before Chicago played Milwaukee on Tuesday night revealed the injury. Rizzo said he will miss an extended amount of time.
• The New York Yankees will celebrate Derek Jeter’s career by wearing a special patch on their caps and jerseys during his final few weeks in the majors.
The team announced that a logo depicting Jeter’s last season will appear on the hats and left sleeves of players’ uniforms beginning Sunday, when the club hosts Derek Jeter Day at Yankee Stadium. A pregame ceremony highlighting the star shortstop’s career is planned before New York faces the Kansas City Royals. After that, the Yankees will wear the patches for the rest of the season.
• Masahiro Tanaka plans to throw a bullpen session this week, the next step for the injured New York Yankees ace as he tries to overcome a recent setback.
New York manager Joe Girardi said Tanaka threw well Tuesday, and team physician Dr. Christopher Ahmad diagnosed the right-hander with arm fatigue.