His left elbow swollen, Colorado shortstop Troy Tulowitzki said he felt confident he would be ready for opening day. He wasn't so certain whether ex-Rockies teammate Ubaldo Jimenez, who is with the Cleveland Indians, deliberately drilled him with a pitch. The benches cleared.
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — His left elbow swollen, Troy Tulowitzki said he felt confident he would be ready for opening day.
He wasn’t so certain whether ex-Colorado teammate Ubaldo Jimenez deliberately drilled him with a pitch, putting the All-Star shortstop’s status in jeopardy. X-rays on Tulowitzki’s elbow were negative.
Cleveland’s Jimenez hit Tulowitzki with the first pitch in Sunday’s exhibition game, causing benches to empty.
Jimenez recently told Foxsports.com he was upset the Rockies didn’t extend his contract. Tulowitzki, who got a new deal, told The Denver Post that Jimenez basically needed to get over his frustration.
- State Supreme Court: Charter schools are unconstitutional
- Seahawks preseason awards: MVPs, surprises, disappointments, toughest roster calls
- Seahawks' 53-man roster projection: The Final One
- Seahawks agree to deal with veteran RB Fred Jackson, waive Robert Turbin
- Rookies again are impressive as Seattle beats Oakland 31-21 to end exhibition season
Most Read Stories
After the Indians’ 12-10 victory, Rockies manager Jim Tracy called Jimenez’s pitch “the most gutless act I’ve seen in 35 years in the game, that’s what I saw.”
Tracy added, “He intentionally threw at him. He should be suspended.”
Jimenez told media it was an accident.
• Desmond Jennings smashed three homers, including a grand slam, to lead Tampa Bay past Baltimore 8-5 in Sarasota, Fla.
• The New York Yankees beat Miami 10-8 in the first exhibition between big-league teams at the Marlins’ new $515 million park.
• The Milwaukee Brewers beat San Francisco 7-4 in Phoenix. Giants ace Tim Lincecum, a former Washington Huskies standout, allowed six earned runs and eight hits in 4-2/3 innings. In 23-2/3 innings this spring, he was 2-1 with a 5.70 earned-run average.