Colorado Rockies owner Dick Monfort joined a crew of team employees helping to dig out snow-covered Coors Field on Tuesday.
DENVER — Colorado Rockies owner Dick Monfort joined a crew of team employees helping to dig out snow-covered Coors Field, clearing the way for the Rockies and New York Mets to play on Tuesday.
The first pitch for the opener of a doubleheader was pushed back two hours to finish clearing the field. At game time, the temperature was 39 degrees and there were still piles of snow in front of the Rockies’ dugout.
Monfort had plenty of help. Rockies vice president Bill Geivett, wearing a heavy Montreal Expos jacket, and chief baseball officer Dan O’Dowd also shoveled snow off. Even Mets general manager Sandy Alderson pitched in.
“It looks like they want to see a game today,” Monfort said.
- UW tops new list of best western universities
- Microsoft co-founder says he found sunken Japan WWII warship
- Seahawks courting a pair of cornerbacks as free agency looms
- Moneytree leads push to loosen state's payday-lending law
- Seattle's micro-housing boom offers an affordable alternative
Most Read Stories
The Mets hadn’t played since Saturday after having consecutive games in Minneapolis and Denver wiped out by weather.
“We’re pretty tired of sitting at the hotel,” Mets manager Terry Collins said.
Only a smattering of fans attended the early game, many bundled up in gear usually seen in the mountains. The weather on Wednesday could be worse, with more snow expected.
• Brewers RHP Yovani Gallardo was arrested on a drunken-driving charge. Authorities said he had a blood alcohol content of 0.22, nearly three times the legal limit.
• Red Sox closer Joel Hanrahan went on the 15-day disabled list with a sore right hamstring.
• Cleveland will put OF and leadoff hitter Michael Bourn on the DL with a deep cut on his index finger.
• Diamondbacks 2B Aaron Hill is expected to miss four to six weeks with a broken left hand.
• Oakland 2B Scott Sizemore, as planned, had a second reconstructive surgery on his left knee to repair a torn anterior-cruciate ligament and meniscus.