The season opener between the Kansas City Royals and Chicago White Sox scheduled for today has been postponed because snow is in the forecast...
CHICAGO — The season opener between the Kansas City Royals and Chicago White Sox scheduled for today has been postponed because snow is in the forecast.
The game will be played Tuesday afternoon. Opening-day festivities will be held before the first pitch.
The decision to postpone this opener was made Sunday. Snow, cold and high winds are in the forecast.
This was the first time since 1982 the opener for the White Sox was postponed because of bad weather.
- With Marshawn Lynch retired, what will Seahawks do with money they save?
- Police: Ohio newborn appears to have died from dog bite
- Sale of Weyerhaeuser’s Federal Way campus means more intensive development
- Panthers' Cam Newton and Seahawks' Russell Wilson handled Super Bowl losses very differently
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson writes a thank-you letter to Peyton Manning
Most Read Stories
• The Atlanta Braves will honor former pitcher Greg Maddux by retiring his number and inducting the four-time National League Cy Young Award winner into the team’s Hall of Fame on July 17. Maddux’s No. 31 will be the sixth Braves number to be retired.
• New York Yankees right-hander Joba Chamberlain allowed two runs and two hits over 5-1/3 innings in his final spring start. Chamberlain, pitching for Class AA Trenton in a camp game against Class AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, retired 16 in a row — including five strikeouts — after allowing two hits and a walk to start the game.
• Texas designated third baseman Travis Metcalf for assignment and placed right-handers Joaquin Benoit and Eric Hurley on the 60-day disabled list.
• Tampa Bay traded pitcher Jason Hammel to the Colorado Rockies for minor-league pitcher Aneury Rodriguez, meaning Jeff Niemann becomes the Rays’ fifth starter. Niemann, who is 6 feet 9, was the No. 4 overall draft pick in 2004.
• The Kansas City Royals have purchased the contract of right-handed pitcher Jamey Wright from Class AAA Omaha and reassigned outfielder Shane Costa.
• The Chicago Cubs have released right-hander Chad Gaudin, acquired from Oakland in the trade that brought Rich Harden to Chicago last season.
• Right-hander Homer Bailey will start the season in the Cincinnati Reds’ minor-league system.