Feeling hungry? How about this foodie baseball lineup:
C: Rick Sweet (former Mariner)
1B: Mike Lamb
- 2 killed, half-million lose power in Seattle-area windstorm
- High winds stall firefighting efforts, fuel Tunk Block, Lime Belt fires
- Jack Zduriencik’s M’s legacy: More than 3 dozen departed managers, coaches, scouts, staffers
- Suspect in attack on tourists arrested in downtown Seattle
- Wet weekend ahead, with high winds and heavy rain expected
Most Read Stories
2B: Cookie Rojas
SS: Rabbit Maranville
3B: Home Run Baker
OF: Chet Lemon
OF: Candy Maldonado
OF: Chili Davis
DH: Tim Salmon
SP: Eddie Bacon
RP: Sweetbread Bailey
And if this team needs a pinch-hitter, Felix Pie is ready.
Different strokes for different folks, as they say.
So while the upcoming ban of the anchored putting stroke has upset many of the players who use that stroke, Seattle’s Fred Couples seems unfazed and says he’ll just make his putter a bit shorter and not anchor it.
“I don’t think my stroke will be horrible,” Couples told Golfweek. “I’ll still miss 4-footers.”
Let’s play five (innings)
Theonion.com wrote that according to a report published Wednesday by researchers at Michigan State University, staying past the fifth inning of 83 percent of baseball games is usually pretty pointless.
Well, duh, say long suffering Mariners fans.
“Pointless, and runless.”
Unfortunately, we now know what it takes to make Patriots quarterback Tim Tebow an afterthought.
Where did they go?
With little fanfare, Everett suddenly is without a team in the National Lacrosse League, when its franchise seemingly sneaked away to Langley, B.C.
Just what you would expect from the Stealth.
Look who’s talkin’
• Boxer Floyd Mayweather, on criticism that his fights lack drama. “They are just saying that because they want to see me in a toe-to-toe battle and me beat up and I get knocked down, get up and win sorta like a ‘Rocky’ movie.”
• Former NASCAR driver Kyle Petty on current driver Danica Patrick: “The King always had that stupid saying, but it’s true: ‘Lots of drivers can drive fast, but very few drivers can race.’ Danica has been the perfect example of somebody who can qualify better than what she runs. She can go fast, but she can’t race.”
• Bob Molinaro of the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot on the lack of great U.S. men tennis players: “For the first time at Wimbledon in more than 100 years, no U.S. man has reached the third round of the singles competition. Come back, Andy Roddick; all is forgiven.”
Noosa Beach, one of the greatest horses in Emerald Downs history, will be honored Wednesday at the Auburn racetrack in a retirement ceremony.
Which leaves just one question: On which hoof will he wear his gold watch?
Scott Hanson: firstname.lastname@example.org