NEW YORK — Just call him Johnny Baseball.
Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel was selected by the San Diego Padres in the 28th round of the Major League Baseball draft Saturday — the 837th player taken.
Manziel was listed as a shortstop for Texas A&M, although he never played for the Aggies as he focused on football.
Manziel, the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy in 2012, was taken by the Browns with the 22nd overall pick in the NFL draft last month.
- Husky guide on UW cheerleading tryouts goes global
- Look like this, not that: UW pulls cheerleader-tryout advice after angry backlash
- CEO makes fiery emails about Muslims part of the workday
- Seahawks take Germain Ifedi with first-round pick in NFL draft
- APNewsBreak: Investigators look at overdose in Prince death
Most Read Stories
“Big thank you to the @Padres and @padresmikedee for selecting me in the MLB draft,” Manziel wrote on his Twitter page. “What a great day!”
Dee, the Padres’ president and CEO, tweeted back: “Best athlete on the board … #JohnnyBaseball.”
Other prominent names drafted included Mariano Rivera III, the son of the former record-breaking closer, by the New York Yankees in the 29th round, and Ryan Ripken, the son of Hall of Famer Cal Ripken Jr., by Washington in the 15th round.
• Pete Rose is set to return to the dugout. The 73-year-old career hits leader is going to manage one game for the Bridgeport (Conn.) Bluefish of the independent Atlantic League on June 16. Rose was managing the Cincinnati Reds in 1989 when he agreed to a lifetime ban from Major League Baseball. He later admitted that he bet on Reds games while running them. Rose is able to take this one-game job because the Bluefish are not affiliated with any team in MLB. He has occasionally appeared at official events since his ban, with MLB’s permission.
• The Los Dodgers lost Dee Gordon and Yasiel Puig, their two best players this season, to hip injuries. Gordon left in the fourth inning because of discomfort in his right hip, and Puig departed in the fifth with a strained right hip flexor. Both players are listed as day to day,