CC Sabathia was placed on the 15-day disabled list Saturday with inflammation and pain in his left elbow, the New York Yankee ace's second...
TORONTO — CC Sabathia was placed on the 15-day disabled list Saturday with inflammation and pain in his left elbow, the New York Yankee ace’s second trip to the DL this season.
The Yankees agreed to a contract with free agent Derek Lowe and are planning to finalize the deal and activate him Monday. The right-hander, recently cut by the Cleveland Indians, likely will pitch out of the bullpen. David Phelps is a candidate to take Sabathia’s spot in the rotation.
Manager Joe Girardi said Sabathia, the 2007 AL Cy Young award winner, felt stiff two days after his Aug. 3 start but an MRI showed nothing. Sabathia felt stiff again after pitching at Detroit on Aug. 8. He threw on flat ground Friday rather than throwing his regular bullpen session and continued to experience mild discomfort.
- For UW, an Apple Cup victory that doubled as a breakthrough
- The story of one homeless girl, Brittany, who was failed time and again
- India draws tech dreamers back home
- Bill Gates to commit billions for clean energy
- Suspected burglar dies after getting stuck in chimney
Most Read Stories
• Reds 1B Joey Votto returned to Cincinnati to have cartilage removed from his surgically repaired left knee. If rehab goes well, Votto is expected to return to the Reds in about 10 days.
• San Diego Padres closer Huston Street was placed on the 15-day disabled list. Street was injured Friday when he went to cover first base on a game-ending groundout.
• The New York Mets cut LHP Garrett Olson to make room on the roster for LHP Johan Santana.
• The Texas Rangers placed All-Star catcher Mike Napoli on the 15-day DL with a strained left quadriceps.
• Chicago White Sox star 1B Paul Konerko, on the seven-day disabled list with a concussion, is taking it easy this weekend and then will be re-evaluated by doctors.
• A’s RHP Ryan Cook has been removed from the closer’s role, at least temporarily, by manager Bob Melvin.
• RHP Roberto Hernandez will make his first start of the season for the Indians on Wednesday against the Angels. Hernandez was formerly known as Fausto Carmona.
• 3B Will Middlebrooks’ fine rookie season for the Boston Red Sox is over because of a broken right wrist. Danny Valencia was recalled from Class AAA Pawtucket.