Dodgers: The inevitable happened. Yasiel Puig pushed manager Don Mattingly too far. After showing up late for the home opener (who does that?), Puig was benched. This won’t be the last time.
Rays: They had 31,042 fans for the home opener. A night later, only 11,113 showed up. Two nights later, 9,571 packed Tropicana. Does a new stadium fix the problem?
Royals: It’s a season filled with expectations, so of course they gack up a pair of walk-off losses to the Tigers to start the season. KC fans have panicked as if they’d been told of a charcoal-briquette shortage.
Yankees: New free-agent signings, zillion-dollar payroll and the Yankees get swept by the Astros to start the season. But Derek Jeter did get some cool cowboy boots as a retirement gift.
- Pursuit of big-money contract comes at a cost for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson
- Seattle man charged with vehicular homicide in cyclist’s death
- Paying the bill for U.S. Open at Chambers Bay
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- Thursday notes: Seahawks escape suspension binge, NFL.com ranks Carroll, and more