Roenis Elias pitched five hitless innings as the Tacoma Rainiers beat the New Orleans Zephyrs 4-2 in a Pacific Coast League game Wednesday night.
Elias struck out six and walked only one in his no-hit performance at Zephyr Field. He is scheduled to rejoin the Mariners for their series in Philadelphia and pitch Monday. He should be able to finish the season with Seattle.
New Orleans (61-64) only managed two hits in the game, while Tacoma (64-61) collected 12, including two from first baseman Justin Smoak. Smoak is batting .299 for the Rainiers.
Left fielder Ji-Man Choi was 3 for 4 with a run scored.
- USC fires head coach Steve Sarkisian, former UW Huskies coach
- Seahawks coach Pete Carroll on Steve Sarkisian: ‘It breaks my heart’
- Seahawks’ Pete Carroll ‘baffled’ after late collapse vs. Bengals
- Time for Seahawks to accept that Marshawn Lynch may go from Beast Mode to Decreased Mode
- Smoking credit-card reader forces Seattle-bound flight to land in N.Y.
Most Read Stories
Canadians 7, AquaSox 6 (14 inn.)
At Vancouver, in a Northwest League game, the Canadians (34-24) rallied for three runs in the ninth inning to force extra frames and then beat Everett (20-38) on a bases-loaded wild pitch with two outs in the 14th.
From staff and web reports