NEW YORK — For Alex Rodriguez, the decision of whether to accept a suspension or fight on comes down to dollars and sense.
As the day for arbitrator Fredric Horowitz to rule on Rodriguez’s appeal of his 211-game ban draws near — some think it could come as soon as Friday — the beleaguered slugger has discussed the possibility of accepting a reduced ban without attempting to get an injunction delaying his punishment, a source in A-Rod’s camp told ESPN.com.
According to the source, a suspension longer than 100 games will likely lead Rodriguez and his attorneys to pursue a temporary restraining order against Horowitz’s ruling in federal court.
If Rodriguez is given a shorter suspension, however, “then Alex will have some things to think about,” the source told ESPN.com.
- Seahawks agree to contract extension with quarterback Russell Wilson
- Dustin Ackley trade symbolizes continuing dark days of Mariners
- Surviving Seattle’s sidewalks: Pedestrian rage rises as the population grows
- Shell icebreaker begins journey after protesters removed from Portland bridge
- Haggen cuts worker hours in Seattle area
Most Read Stories
According to the source, who has been privy to some internal discussions in the Rodriguez camp, the player is weighing the financial implications of continuing to fight this battle against accepting a suspension that will allow him to take the field sometime in the second half of the coming season.
Taking his battle into the courtroom will cost Rodriguez “at least $10 million, with no guarantee of winning,” said the source, while a 100-game ban would cost him $15,425,000 of his scheduled $25 million salary for 2014.
“All of this has been presented to Alex, and he is weighing his options,” the source said. “In certain situations it may not make much sense to continue to fight.”
Previously, Rodriguez and his attorneys had vowed to fight any suspension.
NEW YORK — Dan Le Batard was kicked out of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America for one year and barred from future Hall of Fame votes after he turned over his 2014 ballot to a website that allowed readers to choose the selections.
The decision was made Thursday by the BBWAA board of directors, a day after Le Batard said he let Deadspin.com cast his ballot.
“The BBWAA regards Hall of Fame voting as the ultimate privilege, and any abuse of that privilege is unacceptable,” the organization said in a statement.
Le Batard, an ESPN host and Miami Herald columnist, said he gave his ballot to the website because he detests the “hypocrisy” in the voting process.
• Free-agent Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka arrived in the United States to meet with major-league teams. Clubs have until Jan. 24 to sign the star 25-year-old right-hander, who was 24-0 with a 1.27 earned-run average last year for the Japan Series champion Rakuten Golden Eagles.
• Detroit Tigers ace Justin Verlander underwent muscle repair surgery after injuring himself last month during offseason conditioning. He is expected to miss six weeks.