CINCINNATI — Reds first baseman Joey Votto said he understands why second baseman Brandon Phillips questioned his big contract extension.
In the upcoming issue of Cincinnati Magazine, Phillips is quoted as saying he is “still scarred” that the front office gave Votto a 10-year, $225 million extension in 2012.
At the time, Phillips was in his option year trying to get a multiyear extension. He said general manager Walt Jocketty and owner Bob Castellini suggested the team couldn’t afford him.
Phillips wound up agreeing to a five-year extension worth $72.5 million a few days later.
- Evergreen senior’s death, other player injuries renew football-safety debate
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Seahawks Game Center: Seattle holds off Detroit Lions for 'Monday Night Football' victory
Most Read Stories
“Do I feel like they lied to me?” Phillips said. “If someone tells me they don’t have no money and you find $200 million somewhere, what does that sound like? You tell me.”
Votto said he was OK with Phillips’ comments.
“Brandon is always totally honest,” Votto said.
• Burglars forced their way into baseball legend Hank Aaron’s southwest Atlanta home and stole jewelry and two BMWs, police said. Aaron, 79, and his wife were away from their home. No arrests have been made.
• The pitching-starved White Sox activated RHP Jake Peavy, who has been sidelined since injuring a rib while pitching against the Mariners at Safeco Field on June 4.
• Yankees SS Derek Jeter went back on the disabled list with a strained right quadriceps. He was injured last week in his first game back after being out all season with a broken left ankle.
• Tampa Bay RHP Alex Cobb, who sustained a concussion when he was hit in the head by a batted ball in June, will begin a rehab assignment Tuesday with Class AA Charlotte.