CHICAGO — If the Cubs continue at this pace, the rooftop owners may change their minds and demand the team block their view of all remaining games.
Cincinnati beat Chicago 2-1 on Wednesday, extending the Reds’ record winning streak at Wrigley Field to 12 games.
The previous record for consecutive wins by a visitor at Wrigley was 10, by the St. Louis Cardinals (1943-44), New York Giants (1950-51) and Montreal Expos (1982-83).
Cincinnati’s Dusty Baker, who managed the Cubs from 2003-06, didn’t have an explanation for his team’s Windy City magic.
- Shell icebreaker slips by; authorities force protesters from Portland bridge
- Surviving Seattle’s sidewalks: Pedestrian rage rises as the population grows
- Silence deafening as Russell Wilson deadline for extension nears
- Haggen cuts worker hours in Seattle area
- Police: Unclear if woman found in Northgate-area garage was homicide victim
Most Read Stories
“I don’t know, man,” Baker said. “Just feel fortunate that it happens when it happens.”
Of course, losing to any division opponent is nothing new for the Cubbies. They are 38-71 against NL Central foes over the last two seasons.
• Posing as a pizza delivery man, Yankees closer Mariano Rivera surprised longtime A’s employee Julie Vasconcellos by visiting her in the mail room where she has worked for 25 years. Rivera, 43, will retire after the season.
• Nate McLouth’s string of consecutive stolen bases was snapped at 19, third best in Orioles history.
• The Dodgers and Diamondbacks will open the 2014 season with two games at the Sydney Cricket Ground next March, baseball’s first regular-season games in Australia.
• Giants pitcher George Kontos was suspended for three games for throwing at the Pirates’ Andrew McCutchen Tuesday. Giants manager Bruce Bochy was banned for one game. Kontos was optioned to AAA Fresno and will serve the penalty if he returns.
• Japanese baseball officials admitted introducing a new, livelier ball this season without notifying players. The league is on pace for 1,297 home runs this year. Last year, 881 were hit.