Yu Darvish was one out from a perfect game when Marwin Gonzalez grounded a clean single through the pitcher's legs Tuesday night.
HOUSTON — Yu Darvish saw the ball skip between his shins, dashing his chance at perfection. Immediately, several Texas Rangers came to the mound to console him.
“I think my teammates were more disappointed than I was,” he said through a translator.
Darvish was one out from a perfect game when Marwin Gonzalez grounded a clean single through the pitcher’s legs, and Texas beat the Houston Astros 7-0 Tuesday night.
The celebrated right-hander from Japan struck out a career-high 14 and was in complete control before Gonzalez smacked the first pitch up the middle and the ball skittered into center field.
Most Read Stories
One thought then went through Darvish’s mind.
“I can now go back to the dugout,” he deadpanned. “Even if I got the complete game today, it’s not going to translate to three or five wins. It’s a win. A win’s a win.”
Darvish smiled and put up his hands — almost like, “Oh well, it happens.”
A crowd of 22,673 that included plenty of Rangers fans cheered Darvish as he left after 111 pitches.
• SS Derek Jeter won’t come off the Yankees’ disabled list when he’s first eligible on Saturday. The 38-year-old is still rehabbing after October surgery on his left ankle.
• Yankees 2B Robinson Cano fired agent Scott Boras and hired a new agency founded by musician Jay-Z. Jay-Z is a Yankees fan and a friend of 3B Alex Rodriguez. Cano can be a free agent after this season.
• An MRI on Reds OF Ryan Ludwick revealed torn cartilage in his right shoulder that will need surgery.
• Braves reliever Jonny Venters will be shut down for a month because of a sprained left (pitching) elbow.
• Mets LHP Johan Santana had shoulder surgery for the second time in 31 months and is likely out for the season. New York still owes Santana $31 million on his $137.5 million, six-year contract.