Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington was not about to question himself Friday over Yu Darvish's recent workload. Especially since Darvish felt...
ARLINGTON, Texas — Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington was not about to question himself Friday over Yu Darvish’s recent workload.
Especially since Darvish felt fine after throwing a career-high 130 pitches Thursday night against Detroit.
Washington had no qualms about sending his ace back to the mound in the eighth inning against the Tigers even though the Rangers had a 10-4 lead.
“Not going to second-guess myself,” Washington said Friday night. “Not going to do it.”
- As USS Ranger departs, Navy's cost dilemma takes off
- UW tops new list of best western universities
- Seahawks courting a pair of cornerbacks as free agency looms
- Microsoft co-founder says he found sunken Japan WWII warship
- Seattle's micro-housing boom offers an affordable alternative
Most Read Stories
He also noted setup man Tanner Scheppers was unavailable after pitching the previous two days and the bullpen was weary after throwing 10-1/3 innings in a three-game series earlier this week against Oakland.
• Shortstop Jose Reyes said he is progressing in his rehabilitation from a severely sprained left ankle and looks forward to joining his Toronto Blue Jays teammates on the field before the All-Star break.
• Reid Ryan, the eldest son of Hall of Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan, was introduced as the new president of the Houston Astros.
“Today really is a dream come true because you grow up an Astros fan if you’re in Houston,” Reid Ryan said. “This is just a very special day.”
• Rangers second baseman Ian Kinsler was not in the starting lineup against Detroit because of bruised ribs.
• A’s left-hander Brett Anderson could miss up to six weeks after he was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his right foot.
• Yankees pitcher Andy Pettitte was put on the 15-day disabled list because of a strained muscle in his upper back. He is the 13th Yankee to go on the DL this year.
• Braves right fielder Jason Heyward was activated from the DL and started against the Dodgers in his first appearance since his appendix was removed April 22.