Now that the NL wild-card matchup is set, the Pittsburgh Pirates are eager to host the first playoff game at PNC Park.
With one day left in the regular season, the AL wild-card picture is way more fuzzy. Still looming, in fact, is the possibility of a three-way tie for two spots.
Saturday’s games firmed up a few things:
• Cincinnati will visit Pittsburgh on Tuesday night in the postseason opener to see who advances. Francisco Liriano (16-8) starts for the Pirates against Johnny Cueto (5-2).
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- Lake Stevens quarterback Jacob Eason gets visit from WSU’s Mike Leach; commitment to Georgia ‘in holding pattern’
- Could losing Jimmy Graham somehow help galvanize the Seattle Seahawks for a playoff run?
Most Read Stories
• The AL wild-card winner will begin the playoffs at Boston on Friday. Miguel Cabrera and Detroit open at Oakland the same day in the other best-of-five division series.
• Though the NL pairings aren’t set yet, St. Louis and Atlanta will open at home Thursday.
In the AL wild-card chase, Cleveland leads Tampa Bay and Texas by one game.
If the three teams are tied after Sunday, Cleveland would host Tampa Bay on Monday afternoon, with the winner advancing to the postseason. The loser would play at Texas on Tuesday afternoon for the second wild card.
In the event Sunday ends with a tie for the second wild-card berth, Texas would be home against Tampa Bay in a one-game tiebreaker Monday night.
• Outfielder Hunter Pence and the San Francisco Giants have reached a tentative agreement on a $90 million, five-year contract.
• Terry Collins is close to an agreement to stay on as New York Mets manager. Collins’ contract expires after this season, his third in charge of the Mets.
• Baltimore Orioles outfielder Michael Morse has a left wrist injury that might require surgery.