The Phillies insist they weren't trying to steal signs when bullpen coach Mick Billmeyer was caught peering through binoculars from the bullpen at Coors Field.
MILWAUKEE — Phillies manager Charlie Manuel says he should have stayed quiet during the binoculars flap in Denver this week.
The Phillies insist they weren’t trying to steal signs when bullpen coach Mick Billmeyer was caught peering through binoculars from the bullpen at Coors Field.
Manuel said in Denver that teams “keep crying” about the issue, and that upset Colorado manager Jim Tracy.
On Friday, Manuel said he didn’t think he said anything derogatory about the Rockies, but he would be willing to talk directly to Tracy.
- Band's frontman: No Super Bowl halftime show for Metallica
- Costco delays credit-card switch
- WSDOT chief ousted by Senate Republicans after 3 years on job
- Driver arrested after I-90 crash that killed 2
- Seahawks’ Coleman going 60, didn’t brake before crash, police say
Most Read Stories
“I shouldn’t have said a word,” Manuel said. “If I said something, I’ll definitely talk to him and things like that. But I didn’t even say anything about Colorado. I didn’t even say nothing about that particular game.”
In other Phillies news, medical tests on the surgically repaired right elbow of closer Brad Lidge show no structural damage. He’s day to day with inflammation in the lining of his elbow joint.
Philadelphia also said shortstop Jimmy Rollins (strained calf) is set to begin a rehab assignment at Class A Clearwater.
• Houston ace Roy Oswalt says he would waive the full no-trade clause in his contract if the Astros want to try to shop him this season.
• The Chicago White Sox’s Omar Vizquel, an 11-time Gold Glove winner at shortstop, played designated hitter Friday for the first time in his 22-year career.
• Authorities say a spectator has died nearly three weeks after falling at Miller Park before a Brewers game. Stuart Springstube fell between 10 and 15 feet while reaching over a railing for foul balls on April 25 and suffered a brain hemorrhage. He died Wednesday.