Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen will return to Miami to apologize again for a remark he made about Fidel Castro that has angered Cuban Americans, and has local officials saying he should lose his job.
PHILADELPHIA — An off day from baseball may prove to be the most difficult — and most important — day of Ozzie Guillen’s career.
The brash-talking Marlins manager will tell how he really feels about Fidel Castro in a news conference Tuesday morning at Marlins Park.
A story in Time magazine quoted him as saying, “I love Castro.” Aware of the firestorm of outrage growing in South Florida’s Cuban community, Guillen flew back to Miami after Monday’s 6-2 victory over the Phillies to face the consequences.
“I feel very guilty about it and very bad and sad and very embarrassed,” he said. “I have to wear it, I have to face it. I have to grab the bull by the horns, and I will do it (Tuesday).”
- Wolverine fire continues to grow, air quality at hazardous levels
- Man who drowned in Lake Washington was watching hydros, jumped in to swim
- Oh, rats! Seattle is one of the rattiest places in U.S.
- Seahawks' decision shows faith in Brandon Mebane, and the team's Superstar Strategy
- Old office-temperature rule for men leaves women freezing at work
Most Read Stories
Although Guillen apologized Saturday and amended his endorsement of Castro, the Cuban-American group Vigilia Mambisa planned to boycott and demonstrate against the Marlins until Guillen steps down. Chairmen of the city and county commissions in Miami-Dade and other public officials called for Guillen’s removal.
Rickie Ricardo, the Phillies’ Spanish broadcaster and a resident of Pembroke Pines — a suburb northwest of Miami — understands the powder keg of feelings about Castro in South Florida. He was born in New York after his parents fled Cuba in 1961 while his mother was pregnant with him.
“My own father is a Marlins fan, lives in South Florida. The first person he called when he heard this was me. He said, ‘What the hell is going on here? I’m not buying any tickets until this is cleared up.’
“It’s a hot subject. They’re trying to develop a new fan base in a new park. This is the last thing they need. They could go 0-50, it wouldn’t be as bad as that. That’s the last thing this franchise needs.”
Particularly after public money from the city and county provided the majority of the funding for the $515 million retractable-roof ballpark in Little Havana. The Marlins have been mum except for a brief statement condemning Castro and his impact on Cubans in South Florida.
“Our community has been overly generous to the Marlins, and we cannot allow them as an organization to continue to treat us, the residents of Miami, with disdain or be dismissive of our concerns,” said Francis Suarez, chairman of the City of Miami Commission. “Now, on behalf of many angry residents, I’m calling for real action to be taken and for the removal of Mr. Guillen.”
Ricardo said he has dealt professionally for several years with Guillen, who has a history of inflammatory remarks, and believes this is an extreme case of the Venezuelan-born manager speaking without gauging the impact of his words.
Guillen has made contradictory comments about Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez that have angered some of his countrymen. Last week he revealed that he likes to get drunk after every game, win or lose.
• Drew Storen still has discomfort in his pitching elbow and the Washington Nationals closer will be examined by Dr. James Andrews.
Nationals manager Davey Johnson said Storen’s elbow felt tender after the right-hander threw a simulated game Sunday at the team’s spring training complex in Viera, Fla.
• New York Yankees pitcher Andy Pettitte allowed one run and two hits over three inning for Class A Tampa in his second game action since ending a one-year retirement. Pettitte struck out two in the Florida State League game against Clearwater. He threw 26 of 32 pitches for strikes.
“I felt good with everything,” Pettitte said. “Just another good step.”
• Atlanta third baseman Chipper Jones expects to come off the disabled list when he’s eligible Tuesday.
• A person familiar with the decision says the Cleveland Indians have an agreement with catcher Carlos Santana, 26, on a multiyear contract.