Turns out, the hit that tied Derek Jeter with Honus Wagner came a day later than everyone thought.
Major League Baseball made an official scoring change Tuesday that took away an infield single from Jeter on Aug. 8 and instead charged Cleveland first baseman Carlos Santana with an error on the play.
Originally, that hit pulled Jeter even with Wagner for sixth place on baseball’s career list at 3,430. Now, it’s an infield single the next day against the Indians that moved Jeter up the chart. And it was his double on Aug. 11 in Baltimore that pushed him ahead of Wagner.
- Costco will buy most farmed salmon from Norway, not Chile
- Italian court throws out Knox conviction once and for all
- Let's cut traffic by road rationing, Italian style
- Mariners prospect hit by boat dies at age 20
- Hey, drivers, good luck penetrating the new Seattle
Most Read Stories
• A woman who accused Cincinnati Reds pitcher Alfredo Simon of sexual assault should have to publicly identify herself, his lawyer said Tuesday, though the woman has said she fears being harassed or hurt by Simon’s fans. The woman is currently identified in court filings as Jane Doe, though Simon and his attorneys know her name and can use it to investigate the case. The woman’s lawsuit says she met Simon at a Washington nightclub in April 2013 and went with him to a hotel, where he forced sex on her in a “terrifying physical attack.” Prosecutors in the District of Columbia decided not to bring criminal charges after an investigation, lawyers for both sides have said, but in April the woman filed a civil lawsuit seeking $15 million.
• The Pirates’ Andrew McCutchen was activated off the 15-day disabled list. To make room for McCutchen on the 25-man roster, the Pirates sent utility infielder Michael Martinez to Class AAA Indianapolis.
• Washington Nationals outfielder Nate McLouth is out for the season because of an injured right shoulder. Manager Matt Williams said that McLouth will have surgery Thursday for a torn labrum and is expected to recover in time for spring training. McLouth last played Aug. 1 and is on the 15-day disabled list.