New York Mets reliever J. J. Putz will have surgery to remove a bone spur and pieces of bone from the back of his right elbow and is expected...
WASHINGTON — New York Mets reliever J.J. Putz will have surgery to remove a bone spur and pieces of bone from the back of his right elbow and is expected to miss 10 to 12 weeks.
The former Mariner was put on the 15-day disabled list Friday. The surgery on his pitching elbow is scheduled for Tuesday.
Picked up in the offseason to lock down the eighth inning ahead of new closer Francisco Rodriguez, Putz is just 1-4 with a 5.22 earned-run average and two saves for the Mets. He has allowed eight runs and nine hits in 1-1/3 innings in his most recent outings. He complained of pain after Thursday’s game in Pittsburgh.
“That’s why he’s pitching not the way we’re used to seeing J.J.,” New York general manager Omar Minaya said before the Mets’ game with Washington.
- Power restored after major, hour-long outage in downtown Seattle
- Trump, Clinton win Washington state primary
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
- Seattle’s vanishing black community
- Boeing plans hundreds of layoffs in local IT unit
Most Read Stories
In other Mets news, shortstop Jose Reyes, who’s been on the 15-day DL for right calf tendinitis since May 21, will rest for two days after sustaining a tear in his right hamstring during an extended spring game on Wednesday in Port St. Lucie, Fla. Minaya said that he wouldn’t estimate a time for Reyes’ return.
Glavine still steaming
ATLANTA — An aggravated Tom Glavine said that he wasn’t happy with how Atlanta handled his release, and after his public comments Braves president John Schuerholz apologized for the club’s approach.
Glavine, still seething as he talked in-depth for the first time since his release on Wednesday, said the Braves knew they were going to release him on Tuesday afternoon but “still paraded me out in Rome to a sold-out crowd” for his minor-league start that night.
“That to me is extremely aggravating,” Glavine said.
Hours after Glavine’s statements, Schuerholz issued an apology “on behalf of the organization and myself personally for the way that it ended.”
Schuerholz said he hoped to personally apologize to Glavine.
Glavine said he is not sure if he’ll attempt to prolong his career with another club.
“I’ve had a couple of phone calls in regards to pitching, I’ve had a couple of phone calls … in terms of consulting or pitching-coach type of situations,” he said. “I’m not worried about getting an opportunity to do something. I know I’ll be able to do something.”
• San Diego RHP Jake Peavy‘s next start has been moved back a day to Monday so the Padres can allow their ace to recover from an upper respiratory infection.
• The Los Angeles Angels activated RHP Kelvim Escobar from the disabled list and said he’ll start today against Detroit. Escobar hasn’t made a major-league start since 2007, missing all of 2008 after shoulder surgery.
• Florida put RHP Anibal Sanchez (sprained shoulder) on the 15-day DL.
• St. Louis RHP Kyle Lohse (forearm) has been placed on the 15-day DL.
• Baltimore SS Cesar Izturis was scheduled to undergo an appendectomy Friday night after complaining of severe stomach pains earlier in the day.
• Cleveland activated DH Travis Hafner from the 15-day DL and optioned struggling starter Fausto Carmona to the Arizona Rookie League.
• The Rays-Yankees game in New York was postponed because of rain. No makeup date has been announced.
• A judge issued a temporary restraining order to halt the demolition of Tiger Stadium just hours after crews began tearing down what’s left of the historic ballpark in Detroit.
• Richard E. Jacobs, the former Cleveland owner and commercial real estate developer, has died. He was 84.