MILWAUKEE — Milwaukee shortstop Jean Segura left Saturday night’s game against the Chicago Cubs after the top of the first inning with a head injury.
A television replay showed Segura getting hit accidentally on the right side of his head with a bat being swung by teammate Ryan Braun, who was facing the field and warming up on the dugout steps while Segura was starting to come up the steps behind him. Segura had to be helped to the clubhouse.
Manager Ron Roenicke said that Segura didn’t have a concussion or fractures, but needed stitches to close a gash on his face. It was unclear how long he might be out. The injury added to what’s already been a tough start of the season for Segura, who was hitting .239.
Roenicke had dropped him to eighth in the order for a few games to try to get Segura going.
- USC fires head coach Steve Sarkisian, former UW Huskies coach
- Seahawks coach Pete Carroll on Steve Sarkisian: ‘It breaks my heart’
- Seahawks’ Pete Carroll ‘baffled’ after late collapse vs. Bengals
- McMenamins Anderson School grand opening is Thursday
- Seattle council candidate alleges political shakedown by developer
Most Read Stories
Segura also missed the last two weeks of spring training with a sore right shoulder.
• Baltimore slugger Chris Davis will be placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left oblique, a development that came as a disappointing surprise to the first baseman after he expressed confidence he would soon return from the injury.
• Cincinnati placed catcher Devin Mesoraco on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring, and injured closer Aroldis Chapman made a “big step” in his recovery from facial fractures. Mesoraco hurt his hamstring while scoring from second in Friday night’s 5-4 loss at Atlanta. Chapman was hit by a line drive during an exhibition game on March 19, breaking his nose and a bone above his left eye. The left-hander looked strong while throwing 43 pitches in batting practice.
• The Chicago Cubs placed struggling reliever Jose Veras on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left oblique.