TORONTO — The New York Yankees waited two years to get Michael Pineda healthy and back on the mound at the major-league level. But on the day he finally made his debut, they had to place someone else on the disabled list.
Mark Teixeira went to the 15-day DL with a strained right hamstring. It was part of a day of mixed results for the Yankees as the Blue Jays pounded them 4-0.
More encouraging for the Yankees was the fine performance by Pineda. His impressive outing, combined with Masahiro Tanaka’s victory the night before, is enough to make the Yankees dream of a rotation featuring those two 25-year-olds at the top for years to come.
Using a fastball that was regularly clocked between 93 and 95 mph, Pineda mostly dominated the Blue Jays hitters, showing glimpses of the form he exhibited with the Mariners as a rookie in 2011, when he was named to the American League All-Star team.
- More pet-food recalls linked to potential salmonella contamination
- Man drowns in Lake Washington after hopping off boat
- Seattle company copes with backlash on $70,000 minimum wage
- Seahawks' decision shows faith in Brandon Mebane, and the team's Superstar Strategy
- Seahawks training camp impressions, Day Four --- Pass rush speed, Mohammed Seisay, the center spot, and more
Most Read Stories
Throwing in his first appearance since Sept. 21 of that year, Pineda allowed one run and five hits in six innings and did not walk a batter. He also struck out five.
• Yasiel Puig made himself the story again. A day after he was benched for showing up late to batting practice, the Dodgers outfielder slid headfirst into first base when he didn’t have to, injuring his left thumb.
• The Pittsburgh Pirates signed general manager Neal Huntington and manager Clint Hurdle through the 2017 season, with a club option for 2018.
• Lance Berkman and Roy Oswalt signed one-day contracts and officially retired as Astros.
• Shortstop Yunel Escobar and the Tampa Bay Rays agreed to a two-year contract extension covering 2015 and 2016 worth a guaranteed $13 million.