LOS ANGELES – Miami Marlins ace Jose Fernandez has a significant tear in his right elbow and the team doctor has recommended season-ending Tommy John surgery.
Team president Michael Hill made the announcement in the Dodger Stadium press box during Tuesday night’s game against Los Angeles.
“Pitching’s a precious commodity and we’ve always tried to be very careful with it. So you try to err on the side of caution,” Hill said. “We’ve done everything we’ve thought was the right thing, as to how we’ve handled him. It’s just one of those things that happened.”
The 21-year-old Fernandez is 4-2 with a 2.44 earned-run average in eight starts. Last season’s NL Rookie of the Year was examined by Marlins team physician Lee Kaplan in Florida.
- Whitest big county in the U.S.? It’s us
- Kent family mourns loss of father, two sons in Father’s Day weekend crash
- Ticket prices soar, then drop for World Cup
- As Puget Sound sweats, few air conditioners are cooling us down
- Pursuit of big-money contract comes at a cost for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson
Most Read Stories
The recovery time for the elbow ligament transplant procedure can be 12 to 18 months.
• Yankees right fielder Carlos Beltran has a bone spur in his right elbow that could require surgery if a pain-relief shot does not ease the symptoms.
Beltran was given a Cortisone injection Monday night, shortly after he felt a sharp pain while taking swings in a batting cage during the Yankees’ 9-7 loss to the Mets.
“They said that if the Cortisone does the job and I feel no pain, it’s no concern at all,” Beltran said. “You just hope it goes away. … I will be disappointed if I have to have the surgery to take it out and miss time.”
• Philadelphia manager Ryne Sandberg says a Shake Shack hamburger at Citi Field gave him food poisoning during a weekend series at the New York Mets. Sandberg said he lost six pounds in two days because he became sick after eating the burger. Mets first baseman Lucas Duda also said a burger from the same place made him ill.
• Kansas City placed second baseman Omar Infante on the disabled list with a lower back injury.