Miami Marlins All-Star pitcher Henderson Alvarez was placed on the 15-day disabled list Friday because of inflammation in his right shoulder.
The move was retroactive to Wednesday.
The Marlins also recalled left-hander Dan Jennings from Class AAA New Orleans.
Alvarez, who was scheduled to start Sunday’s game against Cincinnati, was named to the All-Star team this season for the first time in his career. He’s 8-5 with three shutouts and a 2.48 ERA.
- UW tops new list of best western universities
- Seahawks courting a pair of cornerbacks as free agency looms
- Microsoft co-founder says he found sunken Japan WWII warship
- Moneytree leads push to loosen state's payday-lending law
- Seattle's micro-housing boom offers an affordable alternative
Most Read Stories
Alvarez pitched seven scoreless innings Tuesday in a 3-0 victory over Washington. He showed some discomfort in the second inning, but stayed in the game after manager Mike Redmond and trainers tended to him.
• San Francisco Giants right-hander Matt Cain says he needs surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow.
Cain said Friday before the Giants played the New York Mets that he’s still assessing whether he will be able to pitch this season. But manager Bruce Bochy said odds are Cain will not pitch again in 2014.
The three-time All-Star threw off flat ground, from 60 feet, Friday and is waiting to see how his arm feels before deciding. Cain has not pitched since July 9.
• Mets ace Matt Harvey has thrown off the mound for the first time since having right elbow reconstruction surgery in October.
Mets manager Terry Collins said Friday the All-Star right-hander threw at about 60 percent. General manager Sandy Alderson said the mound session lasted 15 pitches.
Harvey said it was exciting to get back on the mound for the first time since Oct. 22 Tommy John surgery.
Alderson said this was an abbreviated session as part of Harvey’s rehab plan. The program will begin in earnest on Tuesday at the Mets’ complex in Port St. Lucie, Florida, and run through the beginning of October.