Justin Smoak came up with a tight hamstring, so the Mariners opted to rest him and go with Ackley as the starting first baseman on Wednesday night.

Share story

Dustin Ackley was pressed into service Wednesday night at a position he hadn’t played since college.

When Justin Smoak came up with a tight hamstring, the Mariners opted to rest him and go with Ackley as the starting first baseman. The move enabled them to get Munenori Kawasaki some playing time at second base.

“I played three years there in college, pretty much every game,” Ackley said. “That was the position I was most comfortable at coming into professional baseball.”

The only part missing was a first baseman’s glove. Ackley said he’d probably borrow one from John Jaso, who again got the night off despite a home run the previous game.

This week, save 90% on digital access.

Smoak first felt the hamstring tighten up while running the bases in a game on Saturday. In fact, he said running is the only time the problem flares back up — which it did Tuesday when he reached base four times on hits.

“It’s fine when I just walk around or do anything,” Smoak said. “It’s just when I run. Hitting-wise, I didn’t feel it. Playing defense, I don’t feel it.”


• Hard-luck Mariners catcher Adam Moore is to undergo surgery Thursday in Seattle to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee. Moore injured the knee in a Class AAA game earlier this week.

It’s the same meniscus he tore in the second week last season, sidelining him the entire year. The Mariners say they won’t know the extent of the injury until the surgery is performed by team medical director Dr. Edward Khalfayan.

Mariners manager Eric Wedge said he hoped the injury was on the lighter side and would sideline Moore no more than four to six weeks. Earlier this spring, Moore suffered a small fracture of a bone in his wrist and missed about four weeks of action.

He had only recently been activated off the disabled list in AAA.

• The Mariners had their first video replay review of the season on Wednesday when a leadoff double in the third inning by Aaron Cunningham hit the top of the left field wall and bounced back onto the field of play. Umpires immediately ruled it a double, but Indians manager Manny Acta asked them to review it.

The review lasted 1 minute, 20 seconds and the double call was upheld. Cunningham later scored on a sacrifice fly.

Geoff Baker: 206-464-8286 or gbaker@seattletimes.com.

On Twitter @gbakermariners

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.