First baseman, Class A High Desert
Signed as a non-drafted free agent on Nov. 25, 2008 out of Bani, Dominican Republic.
- Live updates from May Day in Seattle: Anti-capitalist protesters clash with police
- Good news about coconut oil, melatonin and turmeric
- 9 arrested, 5 officers hurt as May Day anti-capitalist march turns violent
- Visitors trash Washington island, so officials shut it down for good
- From best picks to the puzzlers, reviewing the Seahawks’ draft selections
Most Read Stories
Lara, 23, blasted his 22nd homer of the season on Friday night in the top of the 10th inning to help the Mavs to a 7-4 win. The former third baseman turned first baseman is having a breakout year. He entered the weekend on a 16-game hit streak where he is batting .485 (33 for 68) with 20 runs scored, eight doubles, eight home runs and 24 RBI . For the season, Lara is hitting .354 (140-for-396) with 25 doubles, five triples, 80 runs batted in and an impressive 1.022 on-base plus slugging percentage.
Ex-Mariner of the week
Assistant coach, University of Iowa
The Mariners’ top pick of the 2005 draft (third overall) will have an infamous place in club history as the player then-general manager Bill Bavasi decided to select at the last minute over shortstop Troy Tulowitzki. Clement showed promise in the minor leagues as a potential hitter, but it never materialized at the big-league level. He spent the past few seasons in the minor leagues with the Pirates organization and retired before this season because of knee issues. The native of Marshalltown, Iowa, recently accepted a volunteer assistant coaching position at the University of Iowa.