First baseman, Class A High Desert
Signed as a non-drafted free agent on Nov. 25, 2008 out of Bani, Dominican Republic.
- How ISIS methodically groomed a lonely young Wash. state woman
- Despite struggles on and off field, ex-Skyline star QB Jake Heaps still chasing his dream
- Navy stealthily targets Hood Canal development
- Residents return to ‘war zone’ in wake of Wenatchee wildfire
- Lake City residents fight to regain use of now-private beach
Most Read Stories
Lara, 23, blasted his 22nd homer of the season on Friday night in the top of the 10th inning to help the Mavs to a 7-4 win. The former third baseman turned first baseman is having a breakout year. He entered the weekend on a 16-game hit streak where he is batting .485 (33 for 68) with 20 runs scored, eight doubles, eight home runs and 24 RBI . For the season, Lara is hitting .354 (140-for-396) with 25 doubles, five triples, 80 runs batted in and an impressive 1.022 on-base plus slugging percentage.
Ex-Mariner of the week
Assistant coach, University of Iowa
The Mariners’ top pick of the 2005 draft (third overall) will have an infamous place in club history as the player then-general manager Bill Bavasi decided to select at the last minute over shortstop Troy Tulowitzki. Clement showed promise in the minor leagues as a potential hitter, but it never materialized at the big-league level. He spent the past few seasons in the minor leagues with the Pirates organization and retired before this season because of knee issues. The native of Marshalltown, Iowa, recently accepted a volunteer assistant coaching position at the University of Iowa.