Reliever Joaquin Benoit had a 3.60 ERA in five games with the Mariners this season.
The Mariners have placed relief pitcher Joaquin Benoit on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder inflammation and recalled reliever Mayckol Guaipe from Class AAA Tacoma.
Benoit, 38, hasn’t pitched since last Thursday, when he gave up two runs, including a home run, against Cleveland. His stint on the disabled list is retroactive to last Friday.
Benoit has made five appearances for the Mariners this season, all in the eighth inning.
Guaipe, 25, has a 2.16 ERA and three saves in six games for the Rainiers this season. He made his major-league debut with the Mariners last season but struggled at this level. He had a 5.40 ERA over 21 games with the Mariners last season.
Most Read Stories
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- Put down that cellphone; distracted-driving law is here
- Why watermelon is good for you
- Why Republicans can’t govern | David Brooks / Syndicated columnist
- Passage of paid-family-leave act shows power of working together | Op-Ed
We will meet with manager Scott Servais this afternoon and see what this means for the deployment of the bullpen.