Drew Smyly, Tigers: The lefty reliever, entering the weekend, had gone 12 straight appearances without allowing a run, walk or extra-base hit. That’s the longest such streak by a Tiger southpaw reliever since at least 1916.
Justin Verlander, Tigers: Heading into Friday, the Tigers had quality starts in five of seven games since the All-Star break, with Verlander turning in both non-quality starts. Verlander has five or fewer strikeouts in eight straight starts, matching the longest streak of his career.
- Pursuit of big-money contract comes at a cost for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson
- Seattle man charged with vehicular homicide in cyclist’s death
- Paying the bill for U.S. Open at Chambers Bay
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- Thursday notes: Seahawks escape suspension binge, NFL.com ranks Carroll, and more
Most Read Stories
Ex-Mariner of the week
Vinnie Catricala, A’s: Catricala, hitting just .219 in 33 games with Class AA Midland, was designated for assignment by Oakland. The A’s had acquired Catricala, the Mariners’ Minor League Player of the Year in 2011, after the M’s designated him in June.
“He’s going to be used to get outs. We have 27 outs before they score more runs than we do, and they’re all important.” — Orioles manager Buck Showalter, evading the question of how newly acquired reliever Francisco Rodriguez will be used.