NEW YORK – Jose Fernandez and Wil Myers won Rookie of the Year awards.
Fernandez stood out in a deep National League class this season, and the Miami Marlins pitcher received 26 of 30 first-place votes from a Baseball Writers’ Association of America panel in results announced Monday.
Myers won the American League prize after the Tampa Bay slugger put up impressive offensive numbers in barely half a season. The right fielder was chosen first on 23 of 30 ballots.
Fernandez, 21, went 12-6 with a 2.19 earned-run average and 187 strikeouts in 1722
3 innings. He easily topped runner-up Yasiel Puig of the Los Angeles Dodgers as Cuban players ran 1-2 in the NL race.
- Seattle City Council kills sale of street for Sodo arena
- 9 arrested, 5 officers hurt as May Day anti-capitalist march turns violent
- Former Skyline High QB Jake Heaps signs with Seahawks
- High court rejects franchises’ challenge to Seattle’s $15 wage law
- Sinkhole forms above Sound Transit light-rail tunnel in Roosevelt area
Most Read Stories
Myers, 22, batted .293 with 13 home runs and 53 RBI in 88 games after he was called up from the minor leagues June 18.
Twins’ Mauer to stop catching
MINNEAPOLIS – Joe Mauer will move from catcher to first base on a full-time basis for the Minnesota Twins, hoping to avoid a repeat of the concussion that cut short his 2013 season.
The Twins announced the switch for the 30-year-old Mauer, who missed the last six weeks of the schedule recovering from his head injury. He took a foul tip off the mask Aug. 19. During a conference call with reporters, Mauer said he is feeling fine and symptom-free.
Mauer’s sensitivity to light and noise, irritable moods and headaches lingered into October.
Mauer, a three-time American League batting champion, hit .324 this season.
• The Atlanta Braves plan to move to a new 42,000-seat, $672 million stadium about 10 miles from downtown in suburban Cobb County, apparently swayed by a lucrative financial package. The team intends to start playing there in 2017.
Atlanta plays at Turner Field, which opened 17 years ago.