Jose Bautista and Troy Tulowitzki have announced three members of their respective teams for Monday night’s Home Run Derby at Target Field in Minneapolis.
Joining Bautista on the American League team are Oakland’s Yoenis Cespedes, who was last year’s Derby winner, Baltimore’s Adam Jones and Brian Dozier of the host Twins.
Tulowitzki will have Miami’s Giancarlo Stanton, who entered Tuesday leading the National League in homers, the Dodgers’ Yasiel Puig and Cincinnati’s Todd Frazier on his side.
“Bunch of guys with a lot of power,” Tulowitzki said. “More than that, I think they’re good guys, got to know them throughout the years.”
- Turkey’s president, Putin hurl insults after plane downed
- Teen, one of 14 siblings, finally gets to be a kid
- Seattle sushi fans, rejoice: Shiro's new place is open
- 2015 Apple Cup might be the start of something big for UW, WSU
- UW fires women’s crew coach Bob Ernst
Most Read Stories
• The Los Angeles Dodgers put pitcher Josh Beckett on the disabled list, hoping a short rest now can help him avoid a prolonged absence later in the season. Beckett left Sunday’s game after five innings after aggravating a sore left hip while running the bases. Beckett might have to miss only one start, because the Dodgers can include the All-Star break in the minimum 15 days a player must spend on the disabled list.
• Jered Weaver played some catch and said his back was feeling “much better,” but Angels manager Mike Scioscia said it’s still too early to know when Weaver will start again. Weaver, who came out of Monday’s game after two innings because of lower back stiffness, would be due to start Saturday at Texas.
• Cincinnati placed first baseman Joey Votto back on the 15-day disabled list with a nagging thigh injury that is expected to limit him for the rest of the season.
• Cleveland placed Justin Masterson on the 15-day disabled list with inflammation in his right knee. Masterson, the team’s opening day starter, is 4-6 with a 5.51 ERA.
• All-Star pitcher Yu Darvish was struck in the head by a ball during a throwing session in the outfield while the Texas Rangers took batting practice Tuesday. Darvish resumed throwing after a few minutes and should make his next start.