BOSTON — Jon Lester didn’t feel very good warming up before the game. He couldn’t have done much better once it started.
The left-hander from Bellarmine Prep in Tacoma struck out a career-high 15, allowing one hit over eight scoreless innings and pitching the Boston Red Sox over the Oakland Athletics 6-3 on Saturday.
“It’s probably the worst cutter I’ve thrown in a bullpen in a long time, but I don’t take much stock in my bullpens anymore,” Lester said. “You’re down there to get loose. I think the biggest thing for me is just getting on the mound and getting that adrenaline going.”
He faced 26 batters and just nine hit the ball in fair territory. The only A’s to reach base against him were Craig Gentry on a leadoff single in the third and Derek Norris on walks to start the fifth and eighth.
- Warren Moon on Marshawn Lynch: "He just doesn't trust a lot of people''
- Every street can't handle every use, mayor says
- Confidence is key for 24-year-old lawmaker
- After ditching Amex, Costco embraces Citi, Visa
- Warren Moon on Marshawn Lynch: 'He just doesn't trust a lot of people'
Most Read Stories
CINCINNATI — Milwaukee Brewers star Ryan Braun was put on the 15-day disabled list because of a strained oblique in his right side. Braun had missed the past six games with the injury. Since the outfielder hadn’t played, the move was made retroactive to April 27 and he will be eligible to return May 12.
• Third baseman David Freese was put on the 15-day DL by the Angels because of a broken right middle finger.
• The Toronto Blue Jays put pitcher Brandon Morrow on the 15-day DL with a strained right index finger.
• The Chicago White Sox put outfielder Adam Eaton on the 15-day DL because of a strained right hamstring.
• The Cincinnati Reds activated utility player Skip Schumaker off the disabled list.