The Minnesota Twins have placed All-Star catcher Joe Mauer on trade waivers, according to a report by Fox Sports.
MINNEAPOLIS — The Minnesota Twins have placed All-Star catcher Joe Mauer on trade waivers, according to a report by Fox Sports.
What? Joe Mauer, about to be dealt by his hometown team?
The report on the network’s website late Tuesday, attributed to an unidentified “major league source,” was enough to raise eyebrows around the sport. It said the waivers on Mauer expired Wednesday.
Twins general manager Terry Ryan declined to comment. The process is supposed to be confidential.
- Amid drought, Rattlesnake Lake reveals its roots
- Probe of 777 engine’s explosive failure pinpoints its origin
- Lloyd McClendon’s status is at the top of the new Mariners GM’s list
- US airman who thwarted French train attack stabbed in brawl
- Seattle-area teen loved football, says grieving father
Most Read Stories
Big-name, big-money guys like Mauer land on trade waivers in August all the time. It is usually not a sign of a team’s desire to get rid of an expensive star, but more of a procedural move to gauge potential trade interest.
Mauer woke up to the news and a flurry of phone calls and text messages from friends and family.
“It’s part of the game. I was a little surprised about how much coverage, and how many questions I was asked about it,” he said.
• The third generation of the O’Malley family officially took control of the sad-sack San Diego Padres, completing an $800 million sale. Golfer Phil Mickelson has said he’ll be involved in the group.
• Twins LHP Scott Diamond dropped his appeal and began servicing a six-game suspension for throwing at Texas Rangers star Josh Hamilton.
• Chase Utley, a five-time All-Star second baseman, took grounders at third base before the Phillies’ game and said he’s considering changing positions.
• Nationals rookie OF Bryce Harper had a chance for his first three-homer game before grounding into a double play in the ninth inning against Miami. He then spiked his helmet in frustration and was ejected.