The Boston Red Sox placed Jacoby Ellsbury on the 15-day disabled list with a partially dislocated right shoulder before Saturday's game...
BOSTON — The Boston Red Sox placed Jacoby Ellsbury on the 15-day disabled list with a partially dislocated right shoulder before Saturday’s game against Tampa Bay.
Ellsbury, the runner-up in last year’s AL MVP voting, injured the shoulder sliding into second in Friday’s 12-2 win. Rays shortstop Reid Brignac fell on his shoulder after making a throw to first to complete a double play.
Manager Bobby Valentine didn’t give a timetable for the outfielder’s return.
“Proper treatment,” Valentine said when asked what type of treatment Ellsbury would need.
- TCU QB Trevone Boykin among Seahawks' undrafted free agent signings
- Oregon QB Vernon Adams to attend Seahawks rookie mini-camp on a tryout basis
- Bellevue High principal leaves school amid scrutiny of football program
- Seahawks bolster key areas of need on Day 3 of NFL draft
Most Read Stories
Surgery likely for Giants’ Wilson
SAN FRANCISCO — Giants closer Brian Wilson is likely headed for elbow surgery after an MRI showed structural damage and an issue with the ligament, putting his season in jeopardy.
“There’s definitely some issues there,” manager Bruce Bochy said. “Initially I was just being optimistic he would be fine, but after the test done yesterday it doesn’t look very good right now.”
Wilson, a three-time All-Star, complained of discomfort in his right elbow Friday and was sent for tests. He was to be examined by team orthopedist Dr. Ken Akizuki on Saturday, and is to be placed on the 15-day DL.
• The Tigers activated INF Brandon Inge (groin) from the 15-day DL. He is expected to start at second base Sunday.
• Interim Marlins manager Joey Cora said he talked after Friday’s win to Ozzie Guillen, who is serving a five-game suspension and wasn’t at the game. According to Cora, Guillen said he got a headache watching and has found it tough to be away from his team.