With Ryan Vogelsong sidelined for the foreseeable future, the San Francisco Giants are facing more challenges for their struggling rotation...
SAN FRANCISCO — With Ryan Vogelsong sidelined for the foreseeable future, the San Francisco Giants are facing more challenges for their struggling rotation.
The Giants placed Vogelsong on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday, a day after he broke his hand on a swing, and prepared to be without their right-hander for up to two months after he underwent surgery Tuesday.
Athletic trainer Dave Groeschner said the operation went well.
“I’ll be back, no question about that,” said Vogelsong.
- 2 killed, half-million lose power in Seattle-area windstorm
- High winds stall firefighting efforts, fuel Tunk Block, Lime Belt fires
- Jack Zduriencik’s M’s legacy: More than 3 dozen departed managers, coaches, scouts, staffers
- Wet weekend ahead, with high winds and heavy rain expected
- Suspect in attack on tourists arrested in downtown Seattle
Most Read Stories
Vogelsong had a slow start this year, and he’s not alone. The Giants’ typically steady starters — Madison Bumgarner, Barry Zito, former UW star Tim Lincecum and Tuesday night’s pitcher, Matt Cain — began the day with a combined 4.78 earned-run average.
Around the majors
• The Indians placed first baseman Nick Swisher on the paternity list after he and his wife welcomed their first child.
• The Texas Rangers purchased Neal Cotts‘ contract from Class AAA Round Rock before their game against Oakland, bringing the left-hander back to the majors for the first time since 2009.
Cotts had ligament replacement surgery in 2009.
• The Red Sox held Shane Victorino out of the lineup Tuesday against the Chicago White Sox because of tightness in his left hamstring.
• The Nationals placed reliever Ryan Mattheus on the 15-day disabled list after he broke his right pitching hand punching a locker.
• Jose Canseco is back in the independent United League as a player-coach. The 48-year-old Canseco will be with the Fort Worth Cats for their opening four-game homestand, which starts Thursday.