Jamie Moyer threw out the first pitch at the Mariners' home opener on Monday. On the possibility of playing again, Moyer said, "I haven't closed that door yet."
Former Mariners pitcher Jamie Moyer wasn’t in full uniform Monday when he took the mound and threw the first pitch inside at the “new look” Safeco Field.
Moyer, who turned 50 in November, was there for ceremonial purposes only and likely won’t play for any team in 2013. But speaking to reporters before the game, the Mariners’ all-time leader in victories refused to rule out the possibility of a comeback.
“I haven’t closed that door yet,” said Moyer, who broke in with the Chicago Cubs in 1986. “I don’t know when I would make a decision. I really haven’t put a lot of thought into it. I’m enjoying my time at home at this point.”
Moyer spoke about his children: two boys in college playing baseball, two high-school age daughters, two fourth-graders and two first-graders. He also talked about his gardening.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik
- Now comes the hard part for the Mariners: Hiring Jack Zduriencik’s replacement
- Mariners demote struggling catcher Mike Zunino
- Why Russell Wilson needs to water down his Recovery claims
- Wet weekend ahead, with high winds and heavy rain expected
Most Read Stories
“I’ve got a garden growing,” he said. “I’ve got lettuce I’m eating now and micro-gardens. I’m excited about that. I’ve got some fruit trees going in. I’ve got a puppy. So, I’m doing some things I haven’t done in a long time.
“But I haven’t discounted potentially maybe trying to come back. But I don’t foresee it happening this year.”
Moyer attempted a comeback with the Colorado Rockies last year, but was released in June after going 2-5 with a 5.70 earned-run average in 10 starts. He tried to catch on with Baltimore and Toronto, but never made it past Class AAA before being released.
Moyer is 269-209 with a 4.25 ERA lifetime. He would be the first pitcher in his 50s to win a start, were he to come back and notch a victory. But Moyer said he’d only pitch again if he could do so effectively and help a team.
He’s also leery about taking a job away from a younger player if it was done merely to help a team sell tickets.
“If I did it, it would be in a respectful way,” Moyer said. “It’s not a dog and pony show and I said the same thing last year when I was with Colorado. I’m not doing it for publicity. It’s because I wanted to try to play and because I think I can play. And that’s what I’m trying to figure out right now. If that’s the appropriate way to go or not.”
Morse in demand
after hot start
A large media contingent was on hand as Michael Morse came out to the dugout ahead of his first game for the Mariners at Safeco Field since 2008. Morse was traded to the Washington Nationals in 2009 for Ryan Langerhans while playing in Class AAA.
With five home runs in his first seven games, Morse was naturally a hot interview subject before the home opener.
He pledged that fans watching the Mariners this year should see a different product than the past few seasons. And Morse said that, even with a 3-4 record on the opening trip, opposing teams also got a different look right away.
“I think the two teams we played found out that we’re a totally different team,” he said. “We’ve revamped from last year.
“… It’s early. But I’d like to try to reinforce the whole winning attitude.”
• The Mariners were 0 for 14 with runners in scoring position during two losses to the White Sox over the weekend. Kendrys Morales ended that streak in the first inning Monday, grounding the ball under the glove of former Mariners infielder Ronny Cedeno — playing shortstop for the Astros — and into center field for a single that scored Michael Saunders from third base.
• Center fielder Franklin Gutierrez made one of his better plays in recent years in the third inning, launching into a fully extended dive to rob Cedeno of an extra-base hit. Gutierrez and Cedeno were acquired by the Mariners in the same three-team trade in December 2008.