Los Angeles Dodgers minor-league teammates Alex Guerrero and Miguel Olivo, formerly of the Mariners, got into a fight Tuesday during a game in Salt Lake City for Class AAA Albuquerque.
The Los Angeles Times reported that agent Scott Boras said Olivo bit off a part of Guerrero’s ear. Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said he doesn’t think either player sustained an injury that would keep him from playing.
Guerrero, an infielder from Cuba, signed a $28 million, four-year deal with the Dodgers in October. He was beaten out for the starting second base job by Dee Gordon in spring training.
The Times reported the disagreement began with Olivo getting upset that Guerrero failed to tag out a runner after a throw from Olivo, according to Boras. Guerrero and Olivo had to be separated by teammates. When players pulled off Olivo, he had a piece of Guerrero’s ear in his mouth, Boras said.
- Black Lives Matter protesters march, have sit-ins in Seattle
- Game thread: Huskies dominate Cougars in Apple Cup
- Swarming defense, Myles Gaskin helps UW rout WSU in Apple Cup
- For UW Huskies, an Apple Cup victory that doubled as a breakthrough
- Teardown town: 1,500 small houses replaced by giants since 2012
Most Read Stories
Guerrero was scheduled to undergo plastic surgery to reattach part of the ear.
• Pitcher Cliff Lee will be placed on the 15-day disabled list with a mild elbow strain, and the Phillies are relieved the injury isn’t more serious.
• The Red Sox have agreed to re-sign Stephen Drew, six months after the shortstop had rejected a qualifying offer to become a free agent. The deal Drew accepted, which is subject to his successfully passing a physical, has a $14 million salary.
• The Rockies activated outfielder Michael Cuddyer, the reigning NL batting champion, who has been out for a month with a strained left hamstring.
• Carlos Beltran will take swings early next week before the Yankees decide if he needs surgery on his right elbow.
• Oakland center fielder Coco Crisp was replaced defensively in the sixth inning Tuesday due to neck soreness.