TACOMA — Veteran outfielder Jeff Francoeur had two hits and El Paso pitchers shut down Tacoma for a 5-2 victory in the Pacific Coast League on Thursday night at Cheney Stadium.
Starter Keyvius Sampson allowed one run on four hits in four innings for the Chihuahuas, and relievers Tony Sipp, Hector Ambriz and Leonel Campos combined to allow three hits before closer Kevin Quackenbush pitched a perfect ninth for his third save.
The Chihuahuas (3-3) jumped to a 4-0 lead as Francoeur, who was signed to a minor-league deal by the San Diego Padres, singled in former Mariners catcher Adam Moore.
Tacoma scored in the fourth when Xavier Avery singled in Jesus Montero. The Rainiers added a run in the eighth when Leury Bonilla drove in Cole Gillespie, who led off with a double.
- UW tops new list of best western universities
- Microsoft co-founder says he found sunken Japan WWII warship
- Moneytree leads push to loosen state's payday-lending law
- Should UW stick with coach Lorenzo Romar?
- Seattle's micro-housing boom offers an affordable alternative
Most Read Stories
From team reports