MIAMI — The smugglers who helped Los Angeles Dodgers star Yasiel Puig leave Cuba on a speedboat have made death threats against him and against a Cuban boxer who says he defected with Puig, according to court documents.
The documents are part of a federal lawsuit in Miami and describe a dangerous odyssey of shady characters, unpaid smuggling debts and threats of violence that have followed Puig since he left Cuba by boat in June 2012.
The tale is based almost entirely on the account of the boxer, Yunior Despaigne, who says he is afraid he will be hurt by the smugglers or their associates if Puig hasn’t paid them money he owes. In a 10-page affidavit, Despaigne said a smuggler he knew as “Leo” sent someone to see him in Miami to deliver a message.
“The man pushed me up against my car and pressed a pistol to my liver and told me to tell Puig if he didn’t pay them, that they would kill him,” Despaigne said. The documents didn’t say when the threat occurred.
- Teen, one of 14 siblings, finally gets to be a kid
- Seattle sushi fans, rejoice: Shiro's new place is open
- Students say WWU’s response to racist threats not enough
- Seahawks’ Marshawn Lynch has surgery, could be back December
- UW fires women’s crew coach Bob Ernst
Most Read Stories
Puig’s smuggling venture, first reported by Los Angeles Magazine, is a common way for Cuban baseball players to make it to U.S. professional leagues. Puig went to Mexico first. If Puig had come directly to the U.S., he would have been subjected to the Major League Baseball draft. By establishing residency in a country such as Mexico, he could negotiate a far more lucrative contract as a free agent.
Puig, a 23-year-old outfielder, signed a $42 million, seven-year contract with the Dodgers in June 2012, a record for a Cuban defector. He received a $12 million signing bonus and made $2 million in his rookie year, when he hit .319 in 104 games with 19 home runs and 42 runs batted in.
Puig’s agent, Adam Katz, issued a statement Wednesday saying Puig was aware of the news, but he was not going to comment.
A day later, in a Spanish interview with The Associated Press in San Francisco, Puig said he was concentrating on helping his teammates and not thinking about anything negative.
Despaigne’s affidavit was filed as part of a lawsuit against Puig in which a man jailed in Cuba claims Puig falsely accused him of human trafficking to curry favor with Cuban authorities in an attempt to rejoin Cuba’s national baseball team. Puig had been removed because the Cubans feared he would defect.
Through his lawyers, Puig has denied the man’s claims and wants the lawsuit dismissed.
Despaigne said Puig was responsible for several human trafficker arrests in Cuba and that he appeared to be playing both sides to his advantage.
• Kansas City outfielder Lorenzo Cain has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a left groin strain.
• San Diego pitcher Josh Johnson will have his right elbow examined by noted orthopedic surgeon Dr. James
Andrews next week. The right-hander is on the 15-day disabled list with a strained forearm. The Padres fear his initial injury may be worse than originally diagnosed.
• The rehabilitation assignment for Toronto Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen has been halted because of lingering tightness in his lower back. Janssen has been on the disabled list since the start of the season.
• Milwaukee first baseman Lyle Overbay, from Centralia, has been placed on the paternity leave list. Overbay can spend up to three consecutive days on the list under major-league rules. He is hitting .100 with three runs batted in in 10 games.
• Mark Teixeira expects be back in the New York Yankees’ lineup Sunday, the first day he is eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list, which he was placed on after injuring his right leg.