NEW YORK — David Price gave his new team a chance to win. Later, his catcher delivered the deciding hit.
Price struck out 10 in his Detroit debut and was long gone when Alex Avila homered in the 12th inning to lift the Tigers over the New York Yankees 4-3 Tuesday night.
“Happy it’s over and happy we won,” Price said. “Finally feel part of the team.”
Price pitched 82/3 innings and left with the score tied at 3.
- 2 killed, half-million lose power in Seattle-area windstorm
- High winds stall firefighting efforts, fuel Tunk Block, Lime Belt fires
- Jack Zduriencik’s M’s legacy: More than 3 dozen departed managers, coaches, scouts, staffers
- Wet weekend ahead, with high winds and heavy rain expected
- Seahawks’ third exhibition game may be a dress rehearsal, but it does have significance
Most Read Stories
The AL Central leaders got Price from Tampa Bay last Thursday in a three-team deal minutes before the trading deadline. The lefty ace got to keep his No. 14 — center fielder Austin Jackson, who wore it with the Tigers, was sent to Seattle in the big swap.
Price leads the majors in strikeouts (199) and innings (179 1-3).
“He really looked exactly like he did in Tampa, except he had the Tiger uniform,” manager Brad Ausmus said.
• Adding a third lefty to a suddenly shaky relief corps, the Washington Nationals claimed Matt Thornton off waivers from the New York Yankees. The 37-year-old Thornton went 0-3 with a 2.55 ERA in 242/3 innings across 46 appearances with the Yankees this season.
• Milwaukee placed right-hander Matt Garza on the 15-day disabled list with a left oblique strain. Garza, 7-7 with a 3.58 ERA, left Sunday’s game against St. Louis after allowing just one hit in six shutout innings. The move was retroactive to Aug. 4.
• Andrew McCutchen has a broken bone in his ribcage two days after being hit by a pitch, but the Pittsburgh center fielder and last year’s NL MVP hopes to avoid going on the disabled list. McCutchen left in the eighth inning of Sunday’s loss to Arizona after feeling pain in his side after a swing.