National League batting champion Carlos Gonzalez and the Colorado Rockies have agreed on an $80 million, seven-year contract, pending a physical.
DENVER — Carlos Gonzalez and the Colorado Rockies have agreed to an $80 million, seven-year contract, pending a physical.
Even before the agreement was reached, Fabiola Bohorquez, a publicist for the outfielder, confirmed from Venezuela the deal was imminent, pending a physical. Gonzalez will soon fly to Denver to sign the contract, she said.
A person familiar with the deal, speaking on condition of anonymity because no announcement had been made, said Monday evening terms had been agreed upon. The Rockies wouldn’t confirm the deal, which was first reported by The Denver Post.
“All that’s left are the physical evaluations,” the 25-year-old Gonzalez told Meridiano Television in Venezuela. “It’s a blessing for me to have this contract at such a young age.”
- Tourists robbed, beaten downtown ‘afraid to go back’ to Seattle
- Animated map: How the wildfires in North Central Washington have grown over time
- Steve Sarkisian was reimbursed by Washington for hefty alcohol bills
- Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor holdout FAQ
- Why did the Mariners’ season go terribly wrong?
Most Read Stories
Gonzalez had a breakout season in 2010, winning the National League batting title with a .336 average and a Gold Glove. He hit 34 homers and drove in 117 runs.
Rangers are talking
ARLINGTON, Texas — Third baseman Adrian Beltre and the Texas Rangers are having discussions, according to various media reports.
A news outlet in the Dominican Republic reported Beltre had agreed to a six-year deal with the Rangers worth $96 million and ESPN Deportes later said the sides were close to a six-year, $90 million deal. Those reports were dismissed by a source for The Dallas Morning News, but the paper said the Rangers are interested in Beltre.
Former Mariner Beltre, 31, played for Boston last season and hit .321 with 28 home runs and drove in 102 runs.
• Baltimore Orioles reliever Alfredo Simon, 29, surrendered to police to face an involuntary manslaughter charge in a fatal shooting New Year’s Eve in the Dominican Republic.
Simon’s lawyer said his client was firing celebratory shots in the air. A judge ruled Simon could be held for up to a year, pending trial.
• Players agreeing to or finalizing contracts included left-hander Pedro Feliciano with the New York Yankees ($8 million, two years); first baseman-outfielder Brad Hawpe with San Diego ($3 million, one year); ex-Mariners pitcher Arthur Rhodes ($3.9 million, one year) and pitcher Brandon Webb ($3 million, one year) with Texas; left-hander Chris Capuano with the New York Mets ($1.5 million, one year) and right-hander Taylor Buchholz with the Mets ($6000,000, one year).