The Cincinnati Reds and Dusty Baker will discuss the manager's future after the team made another early exit from the playoffs this year. Baker isn't under contract for 2013.
CINCINNATI — Cincinnati Reds manager Dusty Baker has trouble even thinking about next year.
“I don’t know, man,” Baker said after the Reds’ season ended with a collapse. “I’m kinda numb in this situation.”
A 6-4 loss to the San Francisco Giants on Thursday knocked the NL Central champions out of the playoffs. Cincinnati won 97 games and its second division title in three years, but couldn’t get that elusive home playoff victory to advance to the National League Championship Series.
The Giants, who lost the first two games of the division series at home, beat the Reds three times in Cincinnati. It has been 17 years since the Reds have won a postseason game at home.
- Purple Heart plant bed vandalized days before Memorial Day
- Seattle’s vanishing black community
- Boeing tankers will be delivered to Air Force late — and incomplete
- Bellevue School District seeks to fire football coach Goncharoff over scandal
- A six-pack of observations from Seahawks' OTAs: Justin Britt, Alex Collins, Tharold Simon and more
Most Read Stories
“It was disheartening to have my club go through this,” the 63-year-old manager said.
What next for the Reds?
One of the biggest questions involves Baker, who was hospitalized in September for an irregular heartbeat and suffered a minor stroke.
Baker’s two-year contract ends after this season; he said he is healthy enough to keep managing.
The Reds have won 269 games under Baker in the last three seasons, their best stretch in 30 years.
The issue is whether the front office will commit to Baker after the Reds lost in the opening round of the playoffs again.
“I’m not sure where my career is going here in Cincinnati,” Baker said. “We’re going to talk about that in the next couple of days. But I’m not through managing yet. I have more to do.”
• San Francisco outfielder Melky Cabrera has been reinstated by Major League Baseball after serving a 50-game suspension for a positive testosterone test, but he will not be part of the Giants’ playoff roster.
Cabrera, 28, is back on the Giants’ 40-man roster, but team officials announced Sept. 27 they wouldn’t add Cabrera for any round of the playoffs.
Cabrera was suspended Aug. 15. He was batting .346.
• Texas reliever Mike Adams will have surgery Thursday for thoracic outlet syndrome, a numbing sensation that sidelined him the last week of the season.
• Dave Hansen, a Mariner in 2004 and 2005, will not be retained as hitting coach of the Los Angeles Dodgers, who have offered him another position within the organization.