Carlos Triunfel hit for the cycle and Eric Thames and Nick Franklin blasted three-run homers as the Tacoma Rainiers beat Fresno.
TACOMA — Carlos Triunfel hit for the cycle and Eric Thames and Nick Franklin blasted three-run homers as Tacoma beat Fresno 8-0 in a Pacific Coast League game at Cheney Stadium on Wednesday night.
Triunfel already had a double, triple and home run when he came to the plate in the fifth inning. Needing only a single to complete the cycle, the 23-year-old shortstop hit a sharp ground ball off the first baseman’s glove into right field for his fourth hit.
Triunfel later added another single and finished 5 for 5 for the Rainiers (7-7). He is the first Rainiers player since Raul Ibanez in 1997 to hit for the cycle.
Left-hander James Paxton was impressive en route to his first Class AAA victory. In his third start for Tacoma, Paxton (1-1) allowed two hits in six innings, lowering his earned-run average from 6.23 to 3.68.
- 4 Mount Rainier High teens charged in alleged gang rape on field trip
- Examining if the Seahawks would be a good fit for Matt Forte
- Woman’s throat cut in South Lake Union assault; man arrested
- Manhole cover crashes into SUV's windshield, killing driver
- Building with iconic Seattle P-I globe sold for $40M