Carlos Triunfel hit for the cycle and Eric Thames and Nick Franklin blasted three-run homers as the Tacoma Rainiers beat Fresno.
TACOMA — Carlos Triunfel hit for the cycle and Eric Thames and Nick Franklin blasted three-run homers as Tacoma beat Fresno 8-0 in a Pacific Coast League game at Cheney Stadium on Wednesday night.
Triunfel already had a double, triple and home run when he came to the plate in the fifth inning. Needing only a single to complete the cycle, the 23-year-old shortstop hit a sharp ground ball off the first baseman’s glove into right field for his fourth hit.
Triunfel later added another single and finished 5 for 5 for the Rainiers (7-7). He is the first Rainiers player since Raul Ibanez in 1997 to hit for the cycle.
Left-hander James Paxton was impressive en route to his first Class AAA victory. In his third start for Tacoma, Paxton (1-1) allowed two hits in six innings, lowering his earned-run average from 6.23 to 3.68.
- Husky guide on UW cheerleading tryouts goes global
- Look like this, not that: UW pulls cheerleader-tryout advice after angry backlash
- Seahawks take Germain Ifedi with first-round pick in NFL draft
- APNewsBreak: Investigators look at overdose in Prince death
- CEO makes fiery emails about Muslims part of the workday